Melvin Blitzny is a 6 ft 5 in (196 cm) tall character appearing in The Operative: No One Lives Forever. He worked as a double agent for H.A.R.M. posing as Tom Goodman, whom he replaced after Goodman was killed in Amsterdam.
Blitzny, whom Mr. Smith found at a bar while vacationing in Fort Lauderdale (Florida), was a vacuum cleaner salesman from Akron, Ohio. Smith worked in secret and collaborated with Blitzny to set him up as his mole and double agent from within UNITY. Mr. Smith provided Blitzny with the needed military and field training, plastic surgery and voice lessons to become a convincing 'Tom Goodman'."Tom" first actively became involved in the H.A.R.M. plot when Mr. Smith used Cate Archer's mission failures as an excuse to get him in the field. Once 'Tom' was activated, he made several attempts to put Smith's plan in motion by making several attempts at eliminating Archer. Tom attempted to kill Archer at the docks, where he rigged the H.A.R.M. ship with mines, but failed. Tom later faked his death during the joint mission with Archer to infiltrate the brand-new Dumas corporate skyscraper building. This was an elaborate scheme that Mr. Smith employed, in order to instill a sense of doubt within Archer's mind such that she would begin to doubt her abilities as a field agent and thereby forcing her to either scrub her assigned missions or ultimately quit working for UNITY.
"Tom" eventually makes his 'return', at the graveyard , where he tries to kill Archer out of revenge for killing his benefactor Baroness Dumas and to protect Mr. Smith's true agenda. Along the fight, Melvin sticks to using a .38 revolver with cyanide ammunition and takes cover effectively. But when he fails again to kill Archer, Mr. Smith appears on scene and kills 'Tom' to take care of any "loose ends".
Cate Archer travels to Blitzny's residence in Akron, Ohio to try to find further information on Project: Omega, a joint operation between H.A.R.M. and the Soviet Union. Once she arrives at Blitzny's run-down home, Archer uncovers much of the spy training materials that Mr. Smith had provided Blitzny. Archer also happens across some tape recordings of Blitzny and correspondent documents between him and Mr. Smith, detailing his gradual transformation into a double agent, working from within UNITY, not having success with women and contempt for Mr. Smith who he calls Mr. Sissy.
- Melvin is the last boss encounter in the first game. Standard edition NOLF1 ends with this bossfight, while Game of the Year Edition added the mission Rest and Relaxation as the end mission.
- There's an Antitoxin vial at the middle of graveyard which can be picked up right away at the start to get some protection against poison at least. If not picked up, vial can be seen at the background of the endgame cutscene as Mr. Smith talking.
- While it takes loads of bullets to finally drop Melvin at the last fight. He can be taken out with a single headshot when he's with you on the mission. However this fails your mission as it's an intentional casualty of your own partner.
- Melvin Blitzny was originally a vacuum cleaner salesman. Vacuum cleaners and parts can be found in his now abandoned house.
- When Tom Goodman get 'killed', Volkov used a blank shot or missed; on purpose this time.